Sunday, August 28, 2011

What'd He Say? Que ha dicho?


Had it not been for a news article on July 9th, 2011, I would've never heard of Facundo Cabral. Unfortunately for Senor Cabral, myself, and millions of adoring fans around the world, it was an article about his untimely death.

He was an Argentinian singer/songwriter who grew up impoverished and without formal education. He had to walk miles and miles just to seek work to support his mother and many siblings. He was abandoned by his father at an early age and as an adult his wife and child died in a plane crash. He was considered a rebel and is particularly appealing because to me he is akin to the Irish balladeers that sang songs of Irish freedom. He was a voice for those not happy with politicos and officials and his death is considered an assassination.

Facundo Cabral was the definition of 'street cred'.

This is a life most would never want to live. This was a life that spawned music that would inspire millions around the world and especially in South America.

So, once again, I'm late to the party. I only heard about him after his death. Thankfully we live in the day and age we do. All I had to do was type his name in to my Pandora app on my iPhone and voila! I have a Facundo Cabral station.

The first song ever played on my new station was 'No Soy De Aqui, Ni Soy De Alla'. And it is beautiful, well crafted and weaves a story through delicate string play that I cannot for the life of me tell you the meaning of because it's in a different language. No clue. My limited Spanish allows me to pick up on a few words or phrases here and there but over all. Couldn't tell ya...

But here's my point in all this. He begins his songs with an introduction of the song, as most singer/songwriters (myself included) will do. Create the background for the story before singing the story. He introduces, sings and composes so brilliantly, that, even with a language barrier, I feel like I know the song. Even though I don't. It is a true gift to be able to speak in a foreign tongue and STILL connect with those who don't speak it.

So, if you have Pandora, create a Facundo Cabral station. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

*the image of Facundo Cabral was taken from latinorebels.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment