Monday, December 28, 2009

Long Desert Road

this long desert road's gonna take me home, take me home, take me home...

I'm currently a stone's throw from the grand republic of Texas, in the heart of New Mexico oil country. Imagine the scene in No Country For Old Men after Josh Brolin finds the bag of money. That's the area where we are. It's awesome!

To get here, we had to pass through numerous Border Patrol check points and stay a night in Las Cruces with some friends. The night in Las Cruces was a lot of fun. I put on an unplugged house concert for about 20 people that I grew up with. Some I haven't seen in 18 years. It was very cool. When I told them we were going to Hobbs, they all said the same thing.

"I'm sorry"

Apparently, Hobbs isn't the vacation destination for others as it is for us. While travelling from Las Cruces to Hobbs, we have a couple more check points to go through. When asked where we're going we tell them. They all responded with the same thing.

"I'm sorry"

We're not sorry. We're with family in a different part of the country that has an incredible beauty all its own. Any place can be a destination vacation spot if there is something there you love.

We have family. The greatest riches of all.

This long desert road brought us here, and this long desert road is gonna take us home. The time in between will be spent creating priceless memories of cousins playing together, brothers making fun of each other and solidifying a bond that time and distance can't break.

No matter where you are, have fun... even if you're not supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment